Three Common Fire Hazards And How To Prevent Them From Destroying Your Harriman Home This Holiday Season
Fire Damage In Harriman: Keep Disaster At Bay This Holiday Season
The holiday season is coming soon, and you know what that means. Holiday decorations, Christmas trees, wood burning fires, and holiday lights are likely to adorn your Harriman home. Also, family members and friends are going to gather in your home to celebrate with you. During this holiday, keeping your family, friend and home safe should be at the top of your list. At SERVPRO, we want you to enjoy the holidays like everyone else and not have your celebration interrupted by fire damage. Here are three common fire hazards and how to prevent each.
During the holidays, candle fires are four times higher than any other month. Yes, SERVPRO fire damage experts in Harriman respond fast to mitigate damage, but as a homeowner, you have a part to play. If you follow these recommendations, you will keep your family and home safe during this holiday season.
To reduce candle fires, always maintain a foot or more of space between the candles and any flammable material such as drapes. Use sturdy bases when setting candles. You can shop for these bases at the local store. If the whole family is going to step out of the room to spend time in the backyard, make sure no candle flame is left unattended.
After each holiday, families remove the decorative lights to store in a safe place until the next holiday season. While care is taken to ensure the lights are stored in a proper place, they may end up having cracked or frayed wires. If these lights are set up with frayed or cracked wires, a short circuit may occur. The sparks from the short circuit can start a fire leading to fire damage. To prevent this, stack the plugs. This is much safer especially if you have a large number of decorative lights. For the extension cords, make sure they are in good condition. During installation, use UL rated clips.
Holiday parties cannot be complete without deep fried turkey. Not only does it add a great touch to your party but it is delicious. As you already know, cooking oil is combustible, and if one does not take care when cooking, a fire can occur. Also, the vapor may ignite which poses a serious risk in your home. So, instead of a deep fryer, consider buying a deep-fried turkey from a professional service.
At SERVPRO, we want you to have a disaster-free holiday. So, if you need the help of SERVPRO of Loudon & Roane Counties fire damage experts this holiday season, call our emergency line at (865) 986-3015. Happy Holidays from SERVPRO! The trusted leader in the restoration industry.
Click here for more about Harriman.